Tuning Box VS Remap
- A quick search of the internet ECU Remap vs Diesel Tuning Box for advice and comparisons of diesel remaps vs diesel tuning boxes, reveals a near-unanimous opinion that the remap is far superior to any diesel tuning box.
- Most people (except maybe diesel tuning box manufacturers!) will agree that a diesel tuning box is no match for a proper engine remap. And how could it be? – To map an engine properly, in accordance with engine speed (rpm) and load, it is essential to know what the engine speed and load values actually are at any given moment.
- Without such information, no diesel tuning box, however sophisticated it may be, can compete with a professional diesel engine remap.
- A full engine remap performed by a reputable remap specialist will always be able to out-perform any diesel tuning box in terms of performance, economy and drive-ability.
- Tuning boxes work in a different way – essentially overruling the ECU and tricking it into increasing engine performance. Fitted between the engine sensors and the actuator, a tuning box sits down the line from the ECU, and alters the data that the ECU receives and sends to the engine.
- This means feeding the ECU inaccurate data about fuel pressure and telling the ECU that the fuel pressure is lower than it is – so the ECU forces the engine to increase the fuel pressure to compensate, boosting engine performance.
- However, this can be dangerous, and there’s always the chance that you overstress the engine, causing unnecessary wear and tear and reducing the lifespan of your engine.
HOW ECU REMAPPING WORKS?
- ECU remapping is taking a read from the ECU’s processing chip of the vehicles standard compromised map and adjusting various parameters within the map such as fuel pressure, boost pressure (on turbocharged applications) ignition advance and throttle pedal control amongst others to release the true performance from the engine.
- It is a completely safe process as it is just giving the engine the performance it should have had in the first place before all the compromises were applied to the original programming.
- Every engine will have its own unique map and by adjusting this we can fine tune the characteristics of the engine; unleashing more power and in many cases reduce fuel consumption too.